IMG_3576

Mainstreet marker after reconfiguration in 2002. Text reads:

This pedestrian scale, decorative streetlight was restored to working order in 2002 as a feature for the neo-traditional reconstruction of Hanford Boulevard. The light was one of a series that, in the early 1920s, lit up the main corridors of the new residential community named Fulford-by-the-Sea. Constructed by the Florida Cities Finance Company, and extending from modern day 15th Avenue to West Dixie Highway, the system of streetlights and the small electric plant that supplied its power were destroyed by the hurricane of 1926. This light was discovered in 2001 hidden between two trees on Fulford Boulevard, which is known today as NE 171 Street.

Previous Next